Skip to main content

Tis Summer

HairQueen News

It’s July, and that means it’s officially summer!

Before you head to the beach or spend hours swimming in the pool, make sure you’ve taken care of your hair. The summer months can cause a lot of damage to your hair if you’re not careful, but a little extra time spent of your hair before you head outside can make a world of difference.



Summer Hair Care Tips



  • Wear a cute hat while you're outside. It's easy, protects your hair, and looks great!
  • Use the warm sun to naturally dry your hair instead of using a heated hair dryer
  • A fun trick is to mix a little conditioner and water into a spray bottle and spritz you hair before heading to the pool. This will prevent your hair from absorbing the chlorine or salt water!
  • Use a swimming cap while in the pool to protect your hair from the chlorine
  • After you get out of the pool, be sure to use chlorine-removing shampoo
  • The easiest way to keep your hair hydrated is to keep your body hydrated, so don’t forget to drink lots of water during the summer!
  • Try a new look for the summer by adding some highlights to your hair
  • Don’t forget to also take care of your skin during the hot summer months by using sun block


Product of the Month

A clarifying shampoo is great year-round to remove all the buildup weighing your hair down, but it’s especially important during the summer months. Clarifying shampoos are an easy way to make sure the pool won’t turn your hair green from the chlorine. This month, I’m offering my favorite clarifying shampoo, Kenra Clarifying Shampoo at 10% off.





Here are some quick updates for everyone:

The new SuzanneVanHouten.com is up! Be sure to explore my new website to learn about what products and services I offer, sign up, for my newsletter, and make an appointment!



Finally, just a quick reminder for everyone that I’ll be out of town (out of the country, to be exact!)
during August 3-24. 


Also, Swans Studios is excited to welcome our new stylists!

Curly Hair Expert - Issac Frank
The Blow Dry Babe - Brenda Maria
And our own Lorenzo Carmagnola


Runs Business with Scissors

Summer is the time many business owners and professionals take time off to go on vacation. A relaxing vacation is a great way to take a break from the chaos of everyday life, and you’ll come back feeling refreshed and ready to go! Not only is a vacation relaxing, but it’s also beneficial for your health. So if you haven’t yet planned your summer getaway, I recommend looking for a little time in the next couple of months to take a break and refresh.



Around Town
Photo: Ray Chavez
Here in Oakland, we’ve had a quite an exciting start to the summer with the Warriors winning the NBA Championships last month. The team practices at the Oakland Convention Center across the street from Swans, so it’s very exciting to see them win! We also had the Warriors celebration parade on June 19th. The city was filled with people, music, and lots of energy! Go Warriors!

The Warriors parade took over downtown Oakland for the day, but that didn’t put a damper on the weekly Old Oakland Farmer’s Market. With delicious locally-grown produce for sale year-round, I recommend making a Friday afternoon appointment at Swans and exploring Old Oakland Farmer’s Market before or after your appointment. The Farmer’s Market is right outside Swans on 9th St every Friday from 8am to 2pm.

Jack London Square is also hosting some great outdoor summer activities. Every other Thursday, you can enjoy an outdoor movie at the waterfront with family and friends. On Friday evenings, you can participate in an outdoor dance lesson in the plaza. The former presidential yacht, the USS Potomac, is docked at Jack London Square and is offering sightseeing cruises of the bay throughout the summer. They’re also offering free tours of the bay once a month!

Enjoy your summer around Oakland, and don’t forget to take care of you hair!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Wonderful Decade

 HairQueen News It is with joy and a little sorrow that I after a fantastic ten year run I am announcing the closing of Swans Studios. Thank You Swans Studios My lease is up, I’m retired from my full-time career and now it’s time to close my brick-and-mortar business doors. The good news is that 936B Clay Street will reopen under new ownership by Diane Zelaya, my long-time associate and friend.  Congratulations Diane Join me in wishing Diane well in her new business endeavor and me well in this phase of my retirement plan. Don't worry I will continue to do my one-day-a-week V.I.P. Client Day at Diane’s Studios, Bay Vibrant. You can't get rid of me and Never My contact information remains the same. If you would like to rotate into my one-day-a-week schedule call 510-545-2955 or email, suzanne@suzannevanhouten.com or click here to book online.  Happy End of Summer!

Miss You

HairQueen News The past six months since I stepped into semi-retirement life have flown by! My new schedule of one-day-a-week continues to be working out.  I truly do miss so many of you from my full-time schedule.  There have been times that I have grieved this change and times I pinch myself in gratitude for this change, especially for the time with my granddaughters.  I continue to offer my gray hair transition specialty service. If you or someone you know is ready to embrace their grey, I would love the referral. Check out this article here for more details . For information re my one-day-a-week schedule and for future appointments with me call 510-545-2955 or email, suzanne@suzannevanhouten.com or click here to book online.                                   Swans Studios There are changes in the air at Swans Studios, I am looking for someone to share my studio and for someone to rent our third studio, please pass the word. Here’s a link to the ad on Craigslist. Come Join

Salon Suite Opportunity

HairQueen News Hello, I hope your 2023 is off to a good start! I trust you had a lovely holiday season, seems like an age ago now?  My very best wishes to you for a peaceful and delightful 2023. My holiday season was festive and especially fun with a one year old and a three and half year old, (granddaughters are the best.) I cannot help but marvel at how little time I seemed to have with my new “tip of my scissors schedule”, as I prepped for the holidays and wrapped up the year for Swans Studios.  Its true retirement life is a busy life. My new schedule of one-day-a-week is working out so far.  I do miss so many of you from my full-time schedule.   I know you are in good hands. I appreciate the love, on-going support and good wishes. Swans Studios News I am now looking for a new person to join Swans Studios. I would to find someone wonderful to share my studio since I am no longer there full-time and it’s an amazing place to work. If you know any hair stylists, ready f