Skip to main content

Glam Inspiration!

I don't know about you, but I love this time of year with all the glamorous red carpet events in Hollywood. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that these red carpet looks are for an everyday woman, but the fun thing is to take these glamorous looks and make them your own.

You may not have a hi-end event or red carpet to walk in the near future, but maybe you have a grand opening event at work, an evening wedding, or maybe a hot date on February 15th! So I thought I would give you my best looking hair from this year's Golden Globe awards. Hopefully you are inspired by Hollywood's finest to try a new hairdo.

Amber Heard

Unbelievable Up-dos 

 

Amy Adams
From loose up-swept dos to intricate up-dos with braided details these ladies are some great examples of how to pull your hair away from your face and show off your facial features and neckline. Amber Heard's loose wavy up-do is soft and sweet but still has a sexy effect. I love Amy Adams very intricate and details up-do with braids and intertwining twists in the back. The only thing I would say is be careful about the placement of the braids in front. I think hers is border-lining on looking like horns in the front, so maybe a little lower off the forehead may be better.


Julia Roberts
Margo Robbie
Julia Roberts up-do is a really great example of an effortless way to work a side-swept bang into a style. It really is a great style that works on a red carpet or an elegant dinner out with your husband. I also wanted to include a new face in Hollywood, Margo Robbie. She is a stunning new actress from Australia and I really loved her hair for this event. First, her blonde color is so rich and just looks like sunshine, but the up-do is very soft and sexy.

 

 

 

Down, But Absolutely Not Out! 


Olivia Wilde
Sometimes a special occasion doesn't require an up-do. Long luscious strands are very sexy and can really bring a look together. If you are going to wear your hair down there are several options to help style, whether you straighten your strands, pump up the volume with curls, or play with your color, letting your hair down for the night can be so much fun.

Sofia Vargara



A few great examples from the Golden Globes red carpet are Oliva Wilde and Sofia Vargara. Olivia's hair really has that bump of volume and has a great umbra color effect, which can sometime be hard to pull off and make it look classy, but it really looks great, not to mention she is pregnant!! Also, Sofia's hair looks so soft, healthy, and shiny and I really love the lighter shade she is working these days.
Naomi Watts


 Another great way to work a new look with your hair down is to play with your part. It can really change your look and play up your face in a different way. I like Naomi Watt's hair down and how simple and relaxed she looks, however, while wearing your hair down make sure to use some volumizing product and shine serum.


Short & Sweet

 


Lupita Nyongo
Length doesn't mean that those with short hair can't have a great, sexy look as well. Whether you are sporting a bob or a pixie cut there are still great ways to work a hairstyle for an evening out. There are several elements to your style that you can work with, even with short hair including color, texture, and volume.

Jennifer Lawrence
The lovely Lupita Nyongo, even with a very short style, added some volume and really added dimension to her look. She is such a beautiful woman and a short style really accentuates her lovely complexion.


Another great pixie look is Jennifer Lawrence. With her pixie cut she is really playing with dimension in her color and texture with her bangs to frame her face in a fun but elegant way.

Zosia Mamet
Sometimes ladies have such a hard time styling their hair when it is at a bob length. They feel limited as to how to style a look for a special occasion, but one look that stood out was the young actress Zosia Mamet from the HBO show, Girls.  Her bob looks so soft and light weight and really framed her face well. It also worked really well with her jewelry and overall look. This is a really great way to simply style a bob cut for an evening out.







 

Honorable Mentions! 

 


Emma Roberts
Sometimes there are some looks on the red carpet that don't fit into a category, but just can't be ignored. Here are a few looks from the 2014 Golden Globes red carpet that I just thought were standouts.

Sandra Bullock
Two ladies rocked a similar look, a young starlet and a Hollywood veteran, which shows that some styles can work for any age. The low ponytail looks fun and edgy on 23 year-old Emma Roberts, but also works one the beautiful 50 year-old Sandra Bullock! It is not often the same look works for such a different age range but both ladies really rocked with style and it is so simple to pull this off at home! 

Zooey Deschanel
Zooey Deschanel really pulled off a great way to wear bangs with an up-do. I like the way the bangs blend well into the rest of the up-do and don't look so separate from the rest of the head. Sometimes bangs with an up-do look very segmented but this looks fun and whimsical.
Cate Blanchett

Two other looks that really are throwbacks to old Hollywood are Taylor Swift and Cate Blanchett. These ladies really looked great with the perfect curls and pinned up-dos that are elegant, sexy, and sophisticated.

Taylor Swift


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Wonderful Decade

 HairQueen News It is with joy and a little sorrow that I after a fantastic ten year run I am announcing the closing of Swans Studios. Thank You Swans Studios My lease is up, I’m retired from my full-time career and now it’s time to close my brick-and-mortar business doors. The good news is that 936B Clay Street will reopen under new ownership by Diane Zelaya, my long-time associate and friend.  Congratulations Diane Join me in wishing Diane well in her new business endeavor and me well in this phase of my retirement plan. Don't worry I will continue to do my one-day-a-week V.I.P. Client Day at Diane’s Studios, Bay Vibrant. You can't get rid of me and Never My contact information remains the same. If you would like to rotate into my one-day-a-week schedule call 510-545-2955 or email, suzanne@suzannevanhouten.com or click here to book online.  Happy End of Summer!

Miss You

HairQueen News The past six months since I stepped into semi-retirement life have flown by! My new schedule of one-day-a-week continues to be working out.  I truly do miss so many of you from my full-time schedule.  There have been times that I have grieved this change and times I pinch myself in gratitude for this change, especially for the time with my granddaughters.  I continue to offer my gray hair transition specialty service. If you or someone you know is ready to embrace their grey, I would love the referral. Check out this article here for more details . For information re my one-day-a-week schedule and for future appointments with me call 510-545-2955 or email, suzanne@suzannevanhouten.com or click here to book online.                                   Swans Studios There are changes in the air at Swans Studios, I am looking for someone to share my studio and for someone to rent our third studio, please pass the word. Here’s a link to the ad on Craigslist. Come Join

Salon Suite Opportunity

HairQueen News Hello, I hope your 2023 is off to a good start! I trust you had a lovely holiday season, seems like an age ago now?  My very best wishes to you for a peaceful and delightful 2023. My holiday season was festive and especially fun with a one year old and a three and half year old, (granddaughters are the best.) I cannot help but marvel at how little time I seemed to have with my new “tip of my scissors schedule”, as I prepped for the holidays and wrapped up the year for Swans Studios.  Its true retirement life is a busy life. My new schedule of one-day-a-week is working out so far.  I do miss so many of you from my full-time schedule.   I know you are in good hands. I appreciate the love, on-going support and good wishes. Swans Studios News I am now looking for a new person to join Swans Studios. I would to find someone wonderful to share my studio since I am no longer there full-time and it’s an amazing place to work. If you know any hair stylists, ready f