Skip to main content

Life in the Plan Lane

Runs Businesses with Scissors

Gosh it's officially the middle of January 2016 and that means you should have already made a business plan for the year. How are you going to make 2016 your best year yet? I encourage you to include plans for both your business life and your personal life, 2016 here we come!

Two aspects that I notice are often overlooked when developing a business plan are marketing and scheduled time off.

Marketing not only brings in new customers, it also helps maintain loyal clients, and let's them know that you value them very, very much.   I strongly encourage you to plan at least one quarter ahead.  January is well underway, what are you doing for February and March?  Need help, give me a call and we can plan the marketing and promotions that suit your clients and your business.

Scheduling personal time off is also very important as it ensures that you have time to relax, clear your mind, and return to work refreshed. When you are clear and confidant about your schedule it creates a wonderful sense of well-being and clarity for you, your staff, and your clients.

Need help with these two important plans to help you run a wildly successful business, you can reach me by calling me at 510-545-2955 or emailing me at suzanne@suzannevanhouten.com 


Q&A

Question

How do I establish a work / life balance?

Answer

When you say yes to striving for a work / life balance, you will gain clarity about what change or changes to implement.  For example, I have decided after many years behind-the-chair, I will now be taking every other Saturday off.  For a very long time it made sense for me to work every Saturday but as my businesses and personal life have changed: it is time for me to reevaluate my regular schedule and implement this particular change.  I am looking forward to being able to have more time to spend with family and friends during the weekends. This change will make a big difference to me and I trust my clients will adjust as we find time for them throughout the remainder of my schedule.


Introducing the Client Corner


Every month we will feature one of my clients in the spirit of helping each other in our businesses.

Pam Condie: Certified Professional Résumé Writer

My business mission statement is a favorite quotation from Benjamin Disraeli, a British Prime Minister: “The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your gifts but to reveal to him his own.” 

When I worked in human resources I was fortunate enough to be trained in résumé writing by professional recruiters, the people who read and evaluate résumés every day as part of their jobs.  They know what belongs on a good résumé and what does not. The most valuable insight they taught me is that employers are only interested in hiring people who can solve their problems for them. Thus, my focus is to present my résumé clients as problem solvers.

A few years later I opened my own business, joined the Professional Association of Résumé Writers and passed that organization’s examination, becoming a Certified Professional Résumé Writer.

Even after more than 20 years of résumé writing, I still enjoy my clients, the process of getting to know who they are, and packaging them and their experience in the most effective ways.  I feel it is a privilege to be a part of helping people develop the tools they need to get them what they want, in this case the job interview.

pam@pamcondieresumes.com 
510-842-3704

Hope you enjoyed this new feature of our Business Blog and will pass Pam's name on to clients and friends.

Business Trends


Some of you know I have been a vegetarian for over 28 years.  It turns out today more and more people have become vegetarian and vegans.  With this change in their lifestyle they have also looked to reduce animal cruelty in all aspects of their lives. Businesses have found a rise in interest in natural, organic, and cruelty-free products. This is especially true for beauty and hair products. I have always chosen my products to be cruelty free and am delighted that 2016 will see a continued growth in this trend.

Another trend is the higher expectations in customer service. Nowadays, everyone expects VIP treatment, and they're willing to spend more for it. When possible, offer luxury add-ons to make ensure your clients feel like royalty.  Everyone likes a bit of Downton Abbey in their life!


As we strive to keep up I trust you will have a great rest of the month, see you in February!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Wonderful Decade

 HairQueen News It is with joy and a little sorrow that I after a fantastic ten year run I am announcing the closing of Swans Studios. Thank You Swans Studios My lease is up, I’m retired from my full-time career and now it’s time to close my brick-and-mortar business doors. The good news is that 936B Clay Street will reopen under new ownership by Diane Zelaya, my long-time associate and friend.  Congratulations Diane Join me in wishing Diane well in her new business endeavor and me well in this phase of my retirement plan. Don't worry I will continue to do my one-day-a-week V.I.P. Client Day at Diane’s Studios, Bay Vibrant. You can't get rid of me and Never My contact information remains the same. If you would like to rotate into my one-day-a-week schedule call 510-545-2955 or email, suzanne@suzannevanhouten.com or click here to book online.  Happy End of Summer!

Retirement Life

HairQueen News On October 1 2022 after 40 plus years of working full-time I stepped way-back from the salon chair and way-into retirement life.   As the date grew closer, I was and still am all over the place with so many feelings and uncertainties about how to navigate this next stage. To mark the occasion of my retirement I had a wonderful party, please see the previous blog, Endings and Beginnings.  Next, I went on a celebratory trip which included a week sailing the Atlantic Ocean on the Queen Mary 2.  So exciting! Crossing the Atlantic Ocean Gala Time Upon my return I am turning my attention to what it means to be an older, wiser, experienced, master of my trade.  As space in my life opens up I will take the opportunity to grow Swans Studios, to mentor, coach and consult within and beyond the salon industry. With more free time I will enjoy my granddaughters, my family, friends and hobbies. I know from many of you that the retired life is a busy life and I am grateful t

Salon Suite Opportunity

HairQueen News Hello, I hope your 2023 is off to a good start! I trust you had a lovely holiday season, seems like an age ago now?  My very best wishes to you for a peaceful and delightful 2023. My holiday season was festive and especially fun with a one year old and a three and half year old, (granddaughters are the best.) I cannot help but marvel at how little time I seemed to have with my new “tip of my scissors schedule”, as I prepped for the holidays and wrapped up the year for Swans Studios.  Its true retirement life is a busy life. My new schedule of one-day-a-week is working out so far.  I do miss so many of you from my full-time schedule.   I know you are in good hands. I appreciate the love, on-going support and good wishes. Swans Studios News I am now looking for a new person to join Swans Studios. I would to find someone wonderful to share my studio since I am no longer there full-time and it’s an amazing place to work. If you know any hair stylists, ready f